The Domesday Book states that a mill was sited at Little Hallingbury. This gristmill was completely rebuilt in 1643 and used for winding fine raw silks. This usage continued until 1778, when the mill was converted to a cornmill.
The current watermill at Little Hallingbury was built in 1874, and was used as a cornmill until 1952. To coincide with the advent of water borne cereal cargoes, the mill stream was dug by hand to serve the newly built mill. Barges loaded and discharged their cargoes into the lucombe at the back of the mill.
In 1967, Hallingbury Mill was fully restored as a working mill. Around the same time, a small fleet of hire boats were moored in the mill stream and used for weekend holidays and pleasure trips. Since then, the mill stream and its banks have been converted and enhanced to attain the high quality now present at Hallingbury Marina.